Friday, August 24, 2012

Whole30 & Red Swiss Chard

I am back from my New York trip! It was a very fun trip; I was able to do almost everything in a tour guide book plus go to some local restaurants! One of my favorite activities I was able to do was spend 2 hours in the Metropolitan Museum of Art; it has art from the 1st and 2nd centuries all the way to the 1960s. It was a great last vacation before I start back up in school.

Before my New York trip, I went back to school shopping and picked up some new workout clothes!



Now that I am back, I want to get back onto the paleo lifestyle; I realized after following the paleo lifestyle for almost 2 months, I have felt better all over (both physically & emotionally) and have had a significant decrease in my stomach problems. For me, this lifestyle is not only for weight management, but is for the increase in energy, improvements in the way I feel, and the knowledge that I am benefiting my health with what I am putting in my body. I have noticed a lot of commercials on TV about medications and medication problems relating to diabetes, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc., and the best way to prevent any of these is to begin a healthy, whole foods lifestyle NOW. 

I have been researching the Whole30 Program. Whole30 concentrates on eating food with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, and real, whole food like meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds. The most important is what not to eat during the Whole30 Program: no added sugar (real or artifical), no alcohol, no grains, no legumes, no dairy, no carrageenan, msg or sulfites, and no white potatoes. Also something whole 30 urges is to not make junk food with "paleo approved" ingredients, like pizza, muffins, brownies, ice cream, etc.

Some exceptions to the Whole30 Program are: clarified butter or ghee, fruit juice as a sweetener (apple or orange juice), green beans, snap peas, vinegar (like balsamic, apple cider, and red wine; vinegar with no added sugars), and minimally processed foods like canned coconut milk, applesauce, tomato sauce, canned olives and chicken broth (as long as you avoid carageenan, msg, or sulfites).

This is not suppose to be an easy program, and will take a lot of meal prepping, but on their website it plans out what you should expect while going through the program.
For more information: http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/

The whole30 website provides a detailed grocery list with the best choices for the program. This is a great resource if you are ever unsure of what to buy at the grocery store. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf

I am currently trying to like red swiss chard in my smoothies because red swiss chard is EXTREMELY good for you; it is high in antioxidants, phytonutrients, anti-inflammatory properties, vitamin K, vitamin A, and is beneficial for blood sugar regulation & bone health (for more information: http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=16). I find the flavor very strong, so I am experimenting on different fruit and vegetables to add with it. For my Red Smoothie, I added fresh grapefruit juice to help cut the flavor and I feel it worked well. Any ideas for other ways to cook with red swiss chard? Let me know!

Red Smoothie:
1 cup frozen raspberries
2 leaves red swiss chard
1/2 cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
1/4-1/2 cup water

Blend and serve!

Some other clean eats...

For the airplane trip to New York, I packed some paleo approved snacks! Bell pepper slices, green grapes, raw almonds + raw pumpkin seeds, cherry tomatoes and an Apple Pie Lara Bar.



3 egg white omelet filled with zucchini, tomato and onion, cooked in coconut oil and topped with avocado slices, and red pepper flakes, a side of steamed broccoli (with a little lemond juice and garlic) and fresh tomatoes


3 egg white scramble with zucchini and tomatoes topped with avocado chunks! With Vita Coco Coconut Water. Coconut water is a great way to hydrate your body naturally! 


Zucchini egg white frittata cooked in coconut oil, topped with raw almonds, hemp hearts, pumpkin seeds, tomato slices, bell pepper slices and some spinach-pepper chicken sausage!




Pre-Workout Fruit Salad:
½ cup green grapes, washed & halved
½ cup blueberries, washed
½ banana, sliced
½ tbsp whole flaxseeds
½ tbsp raw cacao nibs
1 tbsp raw Coconut Nectar
Mix above ingredients and top with unsweetened coconut shreds 








No comments:

Post a Comment