Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Happy National Pancake Day!

Apparently, today, September 26 is National Pancake Day! I confirmed it via the internet, but this is different then IHOPs national pancake day. Confusing! Either way, any excuse to make pancakes I am game! I made Vanilla Protein Almond Pancakes with fried bananas & raspberries (in coconut oil with cinnamon) topped with a vanilla cinnamon protein glaze and raw cacoa nibs! AMAZING!



Vanilla Protein Almond Pancakes:
1/4 cup almond flour
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 tsp cinnamon
3 egg whites

Mix dry ingredients together, then add egg whites and whisk until full mixed.
Heat a small pan over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp coconut oil.
This makes 2 medium size pancakes.


Vanilla-Cinnamon Protein "Glaze"
1/2 scoop vanilla protein
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp unsweetened, original almond milk or coconut milk (approx.)

Just like the chocolate protein frosting on a previous post, add the almond milk very slowly, stirring with a fork, until just the right amount to make a "glaze"-like consistency. Serve this over the warm pancakes.

Fried Bananas
1 banana, thickly sliced
1 tablespoon coconut oil
cinnamon, as desired

Heat coconut oil over high to medium-high heat. 
Add banana slices, lightly sprinkle cinnamon over bananas.
Cook until browned, about 2 minutes, then flip, lightly sprinkle other side with cinnamon and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
Then serve on top of pancakes!
For the raspberries, I put 1/2 cup in the pan with a little coconut oil after the bananas to warm them and then served them over the pancakes also.




If you are a big snacker like I can be at times, make your own trail mix and keep it in a big jar! I have found when you purchase pre-made trail mix  there can be salt, or different ingredients added so I prefer to make mine with all raw nuts and seeds. Almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, pecans, hazelnuts  pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds, add whatever you like!


These past couple weeks I have been very busy with school and also coming up with some great track workouts! There is the high school track right by my house and I am loving it! I mix up long distance running with short sprints, with lunges, body squats, and do a lot of work on the football track. They even have tires and I will bring along my jump rope! Working out at the track for 45 minutes as my cardio routine is so much more fun outside compared to on the treadmill and then I will head to the gym for 30 min-1 hour of weight lifting and abs!

Some informational photos I came across on instagram about nuts & seeds nutritional information and kale. 
EAT MORE KALE! 



Some other clean eats...

Grilled chicken, steamed asparagus and 1/4 of an avocado!  


Grilled chicken, steamed broccoli, 1/4 avocado and fresh tomatoes!


Lunch salad with arugula, bell pepper, tomato, celery, kalamti olives, grilled chicken and pumpkin seeds! Used 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar as the dressing.




I will be adding some recipes for butternut squash and acorn squash soon also! Stay tuned :)

Have a happy, healthy day!



No comments:

Post a Comment