Thursday, July 12, 2012

Rib Eye With Mushroom & Red Wine Reduction

On Sunday evening, I cooked for my friend Robert. He has been wanting me to cook paleo and healthy for him for a long time now. He bought all the ingredients and I made the whole meal. I ended up making something new, with rib-eye, mushrooms (which I never eat, but I am trying to enjoy), red wine, and onions! It turned out great! If you try it, please let me know how you like it :)


Rib Eye with Mushroom Red Wine Reduction:
Serves 2
Served with garlic roasted asparagus, broccoli and potatoes

3 tbsp oil
2 Rib eye steaks
1 cup red wine
2 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped
Black pepper
Sea salt (Blush Cabernet is what I used)
1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped

1. Take steaks out of refrigerator while you are prepping the vegetables. You want them to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. I do not recommend putting a cold steak on a hot pan.
2. Season steak with sea salt & pepper
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil over HIGH heat, add steaks, cook 3-4 min each side or to desired done
(I like mine to have a nice sear on the outside but medium rare on the inside)
4. Remove steaks, cover with aluminum foil, and let sit.
5. Lower heat (medium-low), add 1 tbsp more oil, add mushrooms & onions
6. Cook until mushrooms are tender, onions are sweating (5 minutes)
7. Add wine & thyme, bring to simmer for 5-8 min, until sauce has reduced sufficiently
8. Serve steaks and top with sauce





Roasted potatoes: quartered, combined with olive oil, pepper and fresh garlic
Cooked for 30-35 minutes at 400 degrees.

Roasted asparagus & broccoli: quartered, combined with olive oil, pepper and fresh garlic
Cooked for 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees, I added them to the same oven about 20 minutes into potato cooking time
(don't forget to trim your asparagus spears at the ends!)



Final product, it was like something I would buy from a restaurant:



Monday's PreWorkout Fruit & Veggie Shake:
1 cup carrot juice
1 cup fresh spinach
1 banana
1/4 cup fresh raspberries
1 tbsp flaxseeds
1/2 scoop vanilla protein
Ice
Blend

After my 8.11 mile run on Monday, post workout I had 1/2 scoop protein + 8 oz water and a 2 egg scramble with veggies + Steak + 1/4 Avocado. By the way I am at 85 miles for my 30 days, 100 miles challenge. I have until this Sunday, July 15 to finish! 


My dog Jack had a good post workout meal too, since he ran with me! I made homemade dog food for Jack; quinoa, brown rice, veggies (carrots, corn, peas, zucchini and spinach), olive oil, and chicken. Mixed half his kibble with half homemade dog food. He really seems to like it, which is good because he can be extremely picky with his food.

Tuesday's Power Breakfast Shake
1/2 avocado
1 peach
1 cup kale
1/4 cup raspberries
1 tbsp whole flaxseeds
1 scoop vanilla protein
1 cup coconut milk
Water + ice (optional, if wanted)
Blend until smoothi


Wednesday morning I had work and wanted to come up with a paleo breakfast taco, but instead it turned out to be a messy taco so I called it a breakfast bowl instead!

Wednesday's Paleo Mini Breakfast Bowls:
3 hard boiled egg whites
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1 tbsp red onion chopped
1/2 tomato, chopped
1/2 avocado
1 tbsp fresh cilantro

Combine all ingredients in 2 small red cabbage leaves!
Top with fresh lemon juice or salsa.


Wednesday, July 11, Legs workout

Warm Up: 20 min stairs
LEGS:
#1 x3: 30 Squat (40lb bar) + 20 SL Deadlifts (40lb bar)
#2 x3: 30 Alt side lunge (no wt) + 20 Ab crunch (each side, 25lb plate)
#3 x3: 30 Back alt lunges (30lb bar) + 15 front squat (30 lb bar) + Back leg extension 15 each side
#4 x3: 14-10-12 Calf raises + 50 Jump ski side to sides
#5 x3: 15 Single leg bench lunge (30lb bar) + 15 Low sumo squat (30 lb bar)
Ab Superset x3:
25 straight leg crunch w 5lb plate
25 bent leg crunch w 5 lb plate
50 Russian twists w 5 lb plate
25 toe touches w 5 lb plate

No comments:

Post a Comment