Monday, June 25, 2012

3 New Breakfast Options!

I hope everyone had a great weekend! I was able to make it to the farmers market to get some fresh produce! My friend actually got more then me :) (most of this is his); I got fresh nectarines, and large zucchini! He got duck eggs, pomegranate juice, avocado, fresh herbs, maple almonds and purple carrots! Remember the farmers market is the best way to get the freshest produce and know you are supporting local farmers!




I am still going strong on my 30 days, 100 miles challenge. Today is day 10 and I have about 35 miles completed! Also my goal of the week is to drink a gallon of water a day! I bought a gallon jug this morning for 99 cents and plan on refilling it each day! I already finished my gallon for today :)



After my long run today I received my first Paleo Pax in the mail! I was so excited. There were a bunch of different snacks that are 100% paleo and are grain-free, gluten-free, no preservatives, no refined sugar or salt and are high in nutritional value! I just learned today that many of the Lara bars are within paleo guidelines so I am definitely going to get some of those for snacks on my next store run!






I came up with a couple new clean eating breakfast options.

The first is a veggie omelet. I actually got asked to submit this recipe to Tasty 25 Magazine, so I submitted it online and I hope it gets put in the magazine! I was so excited and honored that I was asked!




A-WHOLE-LOTTA VEGGIE OMELET
W/ Fruit Salad
(1 serving)
By Hailey Pharmer

Ingredients:
Omelet::
2 egg whites
1 whole egg
2 TBSP coconut oil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 TBSP white onion, chopped
1 cup kale, roughly chopped (about 3 kale leaves)
¼ cup red bell pepper, roughly chopped (about ½ red bell pepper)
¼ cup red roma tomato, roughly chopped (about ½ tomato)
¼ cup green onion, roughly chopped
Black pepper, to taste
Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)

Avocado Salsa:
½ avocado
¼ cup red roma tomato, chopped (about ½ tomato)
2 TBSP purple onion, finely chopped
1 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Fruit Salad:
3-4 strawberries, chopped
½ kiwi, peeled and chopped
4 raspberries
½ small mango, peeled and chopped
1 TBSP unsweetened coconut threads

Preparation:
1.      Beat egg whites and whole egg in a small bowl.
2.      Quick sauté the vegetables in 1 TBSP of thecoconut oil over medium heat (about 2-3 minutes)-- just until soft and brightlycolored, set aside.
3.      Heat the other 1 TBSP of unrefined coconut oilin a small frying pan over medium heat, pour eggs into the pan, add blackpepper,  and cover. Cook until lightlybrowned on bottom and flip. Add ½ of the vegetables mixture to one half ofomelet, then fold other half of omelet over top. Let sit for 30 seconds or sowith heat off. Add the other half of veggies on top of omelet.
4.      To prepare the avocado salsa, in a small bowl, mixred tomato, purple onion, cilantro and lemon juice. With a large spoon, neatlyspoon avocado out of the skin. Spoon tomato mixture onto the avocado, servenext to the omelet and sprinkle with red pepper flakes
5.      Serve omelet and avocado with fruit salad, andenjoy!




My next new recipe is for a Protein Breakfast Shake!

Avocado-Nectarine Shake:

1/2 avocado, cubed and put in the freezer for 20 minutes prior
1 nectarine
1 cup kale
1 cup almond milk
1 scoop vanilla protein 

Blend until smooth and enjoy!


                             

                             

                             


I made this next recipe this morning for breakfast and it was delicious!

                           

Chocolate Chia Almond Protein Pancakes
4 egg whites
1 tbsp water
1/2 scoop chocolate protein
1/4 cup almond meal
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tablespoon unsweetened natural cocoa

Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl until smooth, the slowly add wet ingredients and mix with the dry. Use a fork to combine ingredients so there are no clumps. The batter will seem watery, but once it goes on a hot pan it will hold up nicely.
After combined, add 1/4 of batter to a medium-medium high heat pan that has 1 tbsp coconut oil.
Continue this process until batter is gone (I was able to make 4 pancakes)
Top pancakes with organic agave nectar, berries, chia seeds and unsweetened coconut threads!

Delicious, filling and fill with antioxidants!



Some other clean paleo eats I enjoyed this weekend:


Chicken Kebabs with veggies (yellow zucchini, bell pepper, onion) and seasoned with organic agave nectar, garlic, and red cayenne pepper!


2 Egg Fritata with tomato, zucchini, onion, garlic & rosemary with a side of grilled asparagus, 1/2 avocado, all topped with red pepper flakes! And a fresh fruit salad with cantelope, strawberries, and banana.



My coworker brought a large basket of cherries to work on Sunday! I was in heaven, and I am so excited these are coming into season! Cherries are a great low-calorie fruit and their dark red-purple skin is a great source of antioxidants. Cherries are known to have anti-inflammatory properties and are high in vitamin A, vitamin C, fiber and iron! So eat up and snack on these throughout the day!


Roasted vegetables (1 small red potato, 5 baby carrots, 8 cubes zucchini and 1/2 white onion roasted in 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, 1 tsp dried marjoram, 1 garlic clove chopped and ground lemon pepper) on top of a bed of fresh arugula!



No comments:

Post a Comment