Thursday, June 21, 2012

80-20!

A good reminder that you can have a good 80-20 ratio, 80% clean healthy eating with 20% your "cheat" item, and still live a healthy lifestyle! You don't have to be a drill sergeant about your diet 24/7, and it does get easier with time. You can have your cheat item in moderation! (Mine are nuts & seeds and any nut and seed butters!) In fact, I believe, you should! Whatever your vice is, enjoy it, but keep with at least a good 80-20 ratio with consistent hard exercise (3-5 times a week). If you are just starting out, start by making small changes here and there, for example if you like peanut butter start replacing it with organic peanut butter with ingredients that contain only peanuts and no additives. Additives are what are addicting, and the first week or two, or couple times without eating that item will be difficult, but push through and it will get so much easier and you will start to feel the difference!

Being on the paleo diet has been a huge eye opener for me and I have learned so much more about clean eating through it! Since I am doing my 30 days, 100 miles challenge I am going to have my diet consist of 80% Paleo and 20% clean supplements (like protein powders pre and post workout supplements, etc.). If anyone knows any pre or post workout or protein powders that are consistent paleo PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! However with this challenge I am going to need to make sure to get all my nutrients, but all my meals will remain with the paleo diet guidelines.




On June 19th I started the day off right by taking my dog on an early AM walk on the beach! It was a good exercise for me, a little over 3 miles, and he enjoyed running around and getting in the water (which was a first).






Meal Plan, Tuesday, June 19


Meal 1:
3 egg white omelet on a bed of fresh baby spinach topped with sauteed peaches, blueberries, onions, thyme & coconut oil and then all topped with hemp seeds!


3 egg whites in a pan with coconut oil; make a normal omelet but only with egg whites! 


I used frozen blueberries and frozen peaches! I thawed them for an hour while I was working out. I used about 1/4 cu blueberries and 4-6 frozen peach slices. Make sure to drain them after they thaw so there is not too much liquid! 



Chopped some fresh thyme (about 1 teaspoon)


1 cup of fresh spinach!


Sauteed coconut oil, thawed/drained peaches and blueberries, and thyme! Let that saute until fully heated through


To assemble: First put the fresh baby spinach, then the egg white omelet, then drizzle the peach-blueberry mixture over it! Finally top it all off with some delicious hemp seeds!


Post Workout Shake

Raspberry-Kale-Flax Shake:
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup kale
1 Tbsp flax seeds
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1-2 cup water
Blend and serve! (Or put it in the freezer for 20 minutes to make it a little thicker which I like!)


New Recipe! I tried something completely new. I was thinking of ideas with Chocolate Whey Protein, and somehow I thought of a sweet potato chocolate pudding. 

Pre and Post Workout Sweet Potato-Coconut-Chocolate Whey Pudding:

1. Roast 1 large orange flesh sweet potato and 1 large white flesh sweet potato (that's what I had, either works though)
To Roast:
  • Peel sweet potato, wrap loosely in tin foil (you may want to add a tiny amount of oil on the bottom of the foil so the potatoes don't stick, it didn't matter for me since they were being mashed), Put on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven at 400F for ~1 hour.

2. In a blender (or food processer) add the slightly cooled sweet potatoes with 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk and 1 TBSP coconut oil, blend on medium speed, scraping the sides until completely mixed.





3. Once the potatoes are a nicely blended, add 3-4 1/4 cup scoop scoops of chocolate whey protein (I used 4 scoops). Blend this completely, I had to whisk some of it as well. Once completely mixed, scoop into an airtight container. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.

This recipe makes 5-6 1/2 cup servings. 

I mixed mine with chopped banana and a lot of seeds! It was delicious. It is a great post workout snack because it has the carbs from the sweet potatoes, the fats from the coconut oil and the protein from the chocolate whey!


Snack: 1 Apple sliced, 1/4 cup sliced raw almonds and 15 green grapes

Meal 3: Left over Shrimp + Zucchini sautee with 1/2 roasted sweet potatoes and 1/2 avocado!




I was surprised with another 2 cook books that a girl from work brought for me! I read through both and I am extremely excited to try some of the Salmon recipes, since now I am very into salmon. I will let you know if I try any and how they go!



Meal Plan, Wednesday, June 20:

Early AM Meal Prep:

                                    



Meal 1: 1 hardboiled egg, 1 cup spinach, 1/2 red bell pepper sliced, sliced raw almonds and homemade guacamole (1/2 avocado, 1/2 tomato, chopped onion, garlic, lemon juice and pepper)

                               

Meal 2: 1 scoop vanilla protein + 8oz water and 1 sliced apple

Meal 3: Romaine salad topped with 1/2 grilled chicken breast, cucumber, tomato and 1/2 lemon juiced




Pre Workout: 1/2 cup sweet potato-coconut-chocolate pudding + 1/4 cup seeds AND I FINALLY tried that vegan endurance gel I blogged about awhile ago, and I loved it! It is naturally plant based, electrolyte endurance energy shot, soy/dairy/gluten free! I have tried preworkout supplements in the past and all have been a little too intense for me and make me crash hard after the workout. This one was great! I loved the taste too, I got raspberry :)

                                       

Workout: 4.00 mile Run, Time: 33:42, Avg Min/Mile: 8:24, Calories Burned: 431

Post Workout: I was at the super market after my workout so I quickly ate a Fudge Graham Cracker ZONE protein bar (which isn't paleo, but it tasted good and it is important to get the post workout meal in directly after your workout and so I couldn't wait) Once I got home I took my fish oil capsules as well! Don't forget those are important post workout too.


Meal 4: 1/2 chicken breast (seasoned with coconut oil, sesame seeds, paprika, and pepper) with roasted broccoli florets, carrots, and broccoli stems.

I got inspired by a friend to try roasting the stems since I usually throw them away! I enjoyed them very much actually and will definitely continue to eat them when I roast my broccoli :)



New Protein! 

I finally ran out vanilla protein so I needed a new one! I tried to find one that was on the cheaper side but still seemed good quality.

MRM is the brand, French Vanilla, 100% All Natural Isolate Whey Protein with over 5g BCAAS per serving, 4g Glutamic Acid/L-Glutamine per serving and no artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners. Hormone Free and BSE Free, 24g protein per scoop with 110 calories per scoop and no sugar nor fat. 


Has anyone tried this protein or heard anything about it?! Please give me your thoughts!




4 comments:

  1. I too love the paleo diet/lifestyle and had been trying to find a protein powder to supplement post workout. Typically I had always steered clear of traditional protein powders because whey and casein are both dairy based. But I found an egg white protein powder at whole foods that only has a paacs score of 1, but is bv score of 100. Very versatile, and as far as I can tell, totally paleo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Do you know the brand name of it? I want to go look for it! Do you have any reccomendationa for good protein bars to get that are paleo? I have found a few raw bars but not with a lot of protein in them :/

      Delete
  2. I was reading oxygen this morning and found an ad for a protein bar developed by elisabeth hasselbeck, who im not sure if you know is pretty adimant about living gluten free. It says its all natural but again youd probably have to check the ingredients list to see just how paleo it is. Its called nogii, and i figured it would be a good start! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I found some good bars that are paleo, Raw Revolution is one of them (but they aren't protein bars). I will definitely try the Elizabeth Hassleback one as check it out. My girlfriend was telling me about Jay Robb's Egg white protein and how it is a very natural protein. I may try that out also. Thank you so much for all of your help and comments, you have helped me a lot, you don't even know! :)

      Delete