Saturday, May 5, 2012

New Books & Bars

This morning my 2 new books came in the mail! I am so excited to read them as soon as school lets out. Thank you to my Uncle for getting them for me.

The first one is Bright Side Up by Amy Spencer. I read reviews about this book in fitness magazines and thought it sounded like a perfect book for me. It gives an inspiring and optimistic perspective while showing you to not take for granted what is right in front of you.


The second book is Main Street Vegan by Victoria Moran. My uncle and I were watching TV and the author was on the show talking about her book. I don't plan on being a full vegan, but I do find it compelling to eat clean and she writes about the practical "baby steps" to becoming a vegan. The author has lost 60 pounds and has been successful in keeping it off. The book also includes 40 vegan recipes! I didn't know this until I got the book, I am very excited to try some more vegan meals.


Yesterday I went to Mother's Market and found some fun bars to try! I had heard a recommendation for the Skout Chocolate & Coconut bar, but when I got to Mother's they had so many choices!

I ended up getting one of the Skout Apple Cinnamon food bar (middle in picture). The ingredients looked promising (which is what I was drawn to at first with the recommendation): Organic Dates, Whole Grain Organic Oats, Organix Dried Apples, Organic Almonds, Organic Apple Juice Concentrate, Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Cinnamon, & Sea Salt. Total 190 calories, good fats (1g poly unsaturated fat, 2g monounsat fat, 0g trans & sat fat), 6g fiber, 4g protein, 0mg Choleserol. 


I also got a Raw Crunch Energy Bar with Blueberries (bottom in picture). It is handmade, uncooked, and unprocessed, which doesn't sound too bad! Now let's look at the ingredients; Organic Sesame Seeds, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Organic Cashews, Organic Blueberries, Organic Flaxseeds, Organic Pecans, Raw Honey, Organic Macadamia Nuts, Celtic Sea Salt. I can not think of one ingredient in this bar that is bad for you! With 150 calories, 10g Fat (1.5g sat, 0g trans), 0g Cholesterol, 10g Carbohydrates (5g sugar, 3g fiber), and 5g Protein. I am excited to try this one!

The top RAW bar pictured, was also blueberry, but unfortunately I ate it after my Coed Rec softball game and forgot to keep the packaging! My bad, I know; it was delicious though so I will just buy it again and update you!

Yes, I did just start in a Coed Rec softball team, with some girls I played with in high school. I played inter-murals in college also, so I have kept some skill. I just need to get use to slow pitch softball, since I played fast pitch for 13 years, I need to be patient (HA!). 


No comments:

Post a Comment