Thursday, April 12, 2012

Volumetric Eating Plan?

I have been reading into this Volumetric Eating Plan by Barbara Rolls. It is an interesting concept to "dieting" because in my opinion it's simply healthy eating because it's a lower calorie, lower fat diet, high in fruits and veggies.

This "diet" has people fill up on foods that aren't high in calories but foods that have a high water content. By eating low density foods a person can eat more with fewer calories, instead of eating high energy dense foods which calories add up quickly. So when you fill up your plate it looks like your eating more with lower density foods compared to the same calorie amount with higher energy dense foods.

One thing I disagree with is that she says people don't get full because of the number of calories they consume nor the grams of fat, protein or carbs. I know I feel more full when I have a meal high in protein so as long as an adequate amount of lean protein and healthy oils are incorporated (which she recommends) and foods high in fiber (which she also recommends) then I think this is a sustainable plan for getting healthy.

Examples of high density foods are cookies, chips, butter, candies, chocolates, and oils. By cutting out oil, butter, and cream and replacing them with skim milk, egg whites, yogurt, and applesauce it decreases the calories in the food.

Foods that are "freebies," which you can consume as many as you want are celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, salad greens, asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, green beans, red bell peppers, carrots, cantaloupe, and oranges.

Let me know what your thoughts on this!



In leu of this plan, I made myself a huge Greek inspired salad today with nonfat feta sprinkled over it and a side of eggplant hummus and carrots!


No comments:

Post a Comment